“Things You Don’t Need to Do Anymore:
- Giving up your space because others expect you to.
- Saying “it’s okay” when it definitely is not.
- Holding back your truth for fear of making someone else uncomfortable.
- Dismissing your pleasure as long as others are pleased.
- Handling it yourself instead of asking for what you need.
- Saying you are sorry when you have nothing to apologize for.
- Deflecting a compliment so others don’t think you’re too full of yourself.
- Letting someone else take credit for your work or idea.
- Punishing yourself for failing to meet others’ expectations.
- Playing small so that others can feel big.
- Accepting that your place is anywhere other than exactly where you damn decide it is.”
by Melissa Hartwig Urban